Join an expedition to Sumatra to see wild orangutans, as well as the difference your support is making to our conservation projects on the ground.
- Join an expedition to the breathtaking Leuser forests of Sumatra;
- A chance to see critically endangered Sumatran orangutans in the wild;
- Trek and camp in the orangutans' rainforest home;
- Track wildlife, visit local communities, and swim in hot springs;
- An exclusive opportunity to spend two days at our forest restoration site, planting trees, monitoring wildlife, and learning from our expert restoration team;
- Raise funds to support orangutan conservation.
This 11 day trip takes place in the Gunung Leuser National Park, one of the only places in the world where you can still see the Sumatran orangutan in the wild. They share these forests with a whole host of other wildlife; gibbons, elephants, hornbills, Thomas' leaf monkeys, macaques, sunbears and the elusive Sumatran tiger are just a handful of the thousands of animal and plant species found in this unique World Heritage ecosystem.
Throughout your trek you will learn to spot an astounding array of plants and wildlife and hone many rainforest skills. Sumatra's forests are a last refuge for many of the world's most endangered species. This trek is designed to make you feel at home in their world, and raise funds for conservation projects.
By joining the trekking team, you will be helping to protect Sumatran orangutans, their forests and their future. There is an optional extension to Tangkahan, "the hidden paradise of Sumatra" - view a short film about how ecotourism has helped the local people turn their backs on illegal logging.
Please note, the costs on the above page include return flights from London. If you will be travelling from elsewhere and meeting the group in Medan, you should contact Charity Challenge through the above link for a ground-only cost - they will help you coordinate your travel arrangements with the group.
Places are strictly limited, so book soon! We're happy to have an informal chat about what to expect from the trip. Contact us